HISTORY OF FOUR OAKS LODGING
If you have photos of the old Benfield Motel or property or have corrections in the history, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In November of 1945 the property known as the Skinner farm was subdivided into tracts and sold at auction.
- M.J. Allen & Robertia Allen (Wife) Purchased 5 Tracts of land at this auction.
- On November 5, 1946 Daniel Allen & Florence B. Allen purchased the 5 tracts of land from M.J. and Robertia Allen.
- On Feb 18, 1948, S.H. Stallings purchased the land, we believe with the intent to build a Cafe.
- On Oct 19,1949 C.M . Johnson and Maude T. Johnson Took over the Property From the Stallings (apparent inability to pay mortgage)
- On May 13, 1950, H.R Benfield Purchased the property with the Cafe formerly known as the "Green Cat Cafe" with the intent of building a motel on the property.
- Sometime in the early 1950's (oldest photo found was dated May 1955), Mr. Benfield opened the 12 room motel as the "Benfield Motel" and Converted the "Green Cat Cafe" into a Residence/ office building adding 2 more rooms as motel rooms to what is now known as the office complex.
- After the Death of Mr. Benfield, On April 20, 1967, Enna Sue Howard and Purvis D. Howard purchased the Motel and office complex and Renamed the property "Four Oaks Motel"
- On November 22, 1971, Joseph Chester Williams and wife Iva Evelyn Williams Purchased the property from the Howard family. During this time when the Williams owned the property, a mobile home village was constructed behind the motel and office building.
- Sometime in the 1970's, Ruffin Canady purchased the property from the Williams. During this time the Motel was allowed to become run down and was closed in the late 70's.
- In December of 1979, Kenneth and Linda Carr and their children Richard, Bill, Kathy and Nancy, from New Hampshire visited the property and saw a potential that made them decide to purchase the property on January 10, 1980. The family began a slow and very painstaking job of remodeling the motel and cleaning up the mobile home village. Around 1995, Struggling to make ends meet, the property took a giant step forward by beginning an advertising campaign to attract more tourists off of I-95. This Advertising campaign saved the family business.
- In 1996 Hurricane Fran hit North Carolina and did not spare the Property. This hurricane toppled all the trees on the property and Destroyed the Motel sign. A decision was made to build a taller and larger sign. The Carr's also wanted to change the name to represent the various types of lodging they were offering and renamed the motel to "Four Oaks Lodging".
- On March 3, 2006, Carr Lodging Inc. was formed and purchased the property form Kenneth and Linda Carr under the management of Richard and Beth Carr and their children.
- In the Spring of 2007 a fire destroyed one of the rental properties in the park forcing the owners to decide the future of the Mobile home Village as the potential of renting single wide homes had been declining.
- In the summer of 2007, the Carr's saw a potential for RV business in the area and began converting part of the Mobile home park to a RV Park.
- In 2008, they began converting all available sites to RV sites and renamed the park to the "Four Oaks RV Resort" and began using the name "Four Oaks Lodging & RV Resort".
- In the Summer of 2012, the Carr's saw the potential for adding tent sites and worked on landscaping and Restroom facilities, to be able to give privacy and accommodations for Tent Campers giving the RV Resort a true campground feel.
- On March 28, 2013, a Great man who gave everything he had to his family and the prosperity of the Four Oaks Lodging, Past away. Ken (dad) found out he had cancer and was determined to win, after fighting the biggest fight of his life against cancer, he lost his battle three days before Easter. In loving memory we will not forget him!
In January 2015, a oversize dog park was opened to accommodate the four legged travelers and their owners.
In March 2016 Carr Lodging, Inc, purchased the neighboring property beside the motel which included two buildings with space to expand the Campground. Plans were put in place to renovate the buildings to add a Rally Room, Game room, Exercise room and two kitchens for guest use and room for indoor activities. Hoping to have open in the spring of 2017.....
- ........ And the history continues......